Primary School’s Sports Funding
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
In April 2013 The Government introduced funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools are required to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
How will we be spending the Sports Funding and who will benefit?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that:
- All children benefit regardless of sporting ability
- Children are given the opportunity to compete and participate in PE beyond the school day
- Staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development
How will we check its impact?
- The Headteacher and PE coordinator will be monitoring take up of clubs and talking to children about PE
- Attainment will be recorded and progress monitored as with other subjects